Population health is a collaborative and comprehensive approach to health that addresses the many things in our lives that impact health. It focuses on ‘up-stream’ issues that tend to prevent disease and enhance wellness. In population health, data is used to identify community needs, implement new strategies to address them, and measure the results in the community. Population Health strategies aim to impact behaviors, the environment, economics, education, nutrition, and anything that influences a person’s health.
- Eliminate barriers to being healthy by connecting people to resources when needed
- Teach people how small behavioral changes can lead to big health changes
- Use data analysis, or “big data,” to design social and community interventions
- Recommend results-oriented solutions to complex public health issues
- Lead recommended policy changes that support healthy living