The 1889 Jefferson Center for Population Health was founded as a collaborative research and resource Center focused on population health and disease prevention to benefit the citizens living in Cambria and Somerset Counties.
The 1889 Jefferson Center for Population Health was founded through a collaborative effort. 1889 Foundation, originally known as the Conemaugh Health Foundation, was the philanthropic arm of the Conemaugh Health System. In September 2014, Conemaugh Health System was sold to Duke LifePoint Healthcare and became a for-profit entity. The Conemaugh Health Foundation was the recipient of funds from that sale and reorganized itself as 1889 Foundation, Inc. in 2015.
Along with the new name came a new mission: 1889 Foundation supports innovative programs and initiatives that improve and transform the overall health and wellness of our region. With that mission firmly in mind, the board of 1889 Foundation soon embarked on a partnership with the Jefferson College of Population Health of the Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia to create the 1889 Jefferson Center for Population Health.